Skip to main content

First Baptist Church (Goodwin, S.D.)—Records, 1880-1995

 Unprocessed — Box: 06492 A
Identifier: H2016-047

Content Description

The collection consists of seven ledger books, church records, three song books, letters, minutes, pamphlets and general church histories for the First Baptist Church of Goodwin (S.D.). The church records consist of minutes, lists of officers, member list; baptism, dismissal, death and other notable church records. There are also ledgers for the Goodwin Baptist Mission Society and the Goodwin Baptist Ladies Aid. In August of 1879, pioneer settlers near the Prairie Siding town site in Deuel County organized the First Baptist Church. Members of the congregation voted in July of 1881 to build a church. The land was purchased for $140 from W.C. and Sarah Kelsey. Money for the church was raised through donations, from the Home Mission Society and a generous gift form Mrs. L.W. Goodwin. In return for her financial assistance the town name, then called Prairie Siding, was changed to Goodwin. The members moved into the new church in September 1882, the first church built in that part of the territory. The church continued to operate for 106 years, but in September 6, 1987 it closed its doors due to waning members. Paul and Evelyn Siegfried were instrumental in donating the church to the Prairie Village Historical Society (Madison, S.D.) in March 1995.

Acquisition Type


Restrictions Apply



  • 1880s-1990s


0.5 Cubic Feet