Ferdinand J. Goodfellow Photo Collection
The collection consists of 22 photographs. Three 10x12 inch images, two 8x12 inch, one 5 ¼ x 6 ½ inch image and sixteen 6 ½ x 8-inch images. It is believed that the images were taken by photographer P. H. Kellogg who was in the Pierre/Fort Pierre area in the mid-1900s. All the oversized images are noted or marked as being Kellogg’s. It is assumed that the 6 ½ x 8 images were also taken by Kellogg. All the photographs are on cardboard mounts. The images roughly date to the 1900s. The first image includes a group of twenty-eight individuals standing in front of the old wooden State Capitol. A reprint of the image in the State Archive’s collections identifies the photo as “1903 State Officials and Employees.” The taller man, in a military uniform, standing in the back row is listed as being Ferd Goodfellow. Governor Charles Herreid is standing in the front row center of the photograph. Four images concern the James “Scotty” Philip buffalo herd located north of Fort Pierre (S.D.). In 1904 Governor Herreid accompanied Philip on a hunt for “renegade” buffalo that Philip couldn’t corral. P. H. Kellogg was the photographer who accompanied the hunters. The photos show buffalo in Philip’s herd, a group of hunters surrounding a shot buffalo, Scotty Philip and Governor Herreid standing next to a shot buffalo and Governor Herreid standing with a group of Native Americans. All the images date to 1904. The sixteen 6 ½ x 8-inch images mainly include images of Native Americans, in native clothing, participating in a parade in Pierre (S.D.), presumably from the 1900s. The images include photographs of various commercial buildings in Pierre as well as some images taken near the Pierre Indian School. Further research may lead to the identification of some of the Native Americans. The collection also includes a random photograph of a man named “Mr. Crocker” holding a hailstone from a June 20, 1897 storm near Enderlin (N.D.).
- ca. 1900s
- Kellogg, P.H.--Photo Studio (Rushford, N.Y.) (Organization)
0.25 Cubic Feet
- American Bison/Buffalo -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Goodfellow, Ferdinand J., 1883-1970
- Herreid, Charles Nelson, Governor
- Indians of North America -- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Old South Dakota State Capitol (Pierre, S.D.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Parades -- South Dakota Subject Source: Local sources
- Philip, James "Scotty"
- Photograph Collection -- Manuscript Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pierre (S.D.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pierre Indian Learning School (Pierre, S.D.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Scotty Philip Ranch -- American Bison/Buffalo (Fort Pierre, S.D.) Subject Source: Local sources