Skip to main content

St. Johannes Evangelical Lutheran Church (James, S.D.), 1910s

 Unprocessed — Multiple Containers
Identifier: H2017-058

Content Description

The collection consists of items transferred from the Carnegie Resource Center in Mitchell (S.D.). The main item includes an interior photograph (12x14 inches) of what is assumed to be St. Johannes Evangelical Lutheran Church in James (S.D.), Brown County, ca. 1910s. The back of the photograph is inscribed “Mabel Loring, James, So. Dak.” The photograph features the pastor seated in the center with five girls dressed in white, presumably at their confirmation. The photograph shows the alter, baptismal font, hymn board and lectern. The photograph was taken by the Groton Photo Studio (Groton, S.D.). According to Brown County History, St. Johannes Evangelical Church was built at James in 1885 and in 1955 the building was moved to West Hanson Township. The collection also includes three postcard including images of Sylvan Lake, rock formations on the Needles Highway and the Pigtail Bridge.

Acquisition Type

Transfer

Restrictions Apply

No

Dates

  • ca. 1910s
  • ca. 1930s

Creator

Extent

0.1 Cubic Feet