Skip to main content

Dr. A. P. Reding--Film Collection

 Unprocessed — Box: 09247 C
Identifier: H2019-067

Content Description

The collection consists of four, 8mm color films taken by Marion (S.D.) physician Dr. A.P. Reding. The first film shows the aftermath of a gas explosion that destroyed St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Marion on April 10, 1949, Palm Sunday. The footage shows both the exterior and interior of the ruined church with emphasis on a station of the cross scene of Simon carrying the cross of Jesus Christ. The second film is of the dedication of the new St. Mary’s Catholic Church in 1953 officiated by Archbishop William Brady. The film shows the events before the official opening of the church as a crowd of parishioners stood outside the church. The film shows the new church being consecrated by Archbishop Brady with other church clergy and assistants blessing and walking around the church. The third film is of Marion’s 75th Jubilee celebration in 1954 featuring a parade with various floats made by Marion churches, business and clubs. The final film was taken in 1949 at the South Dakota State Sanitarium for Tuberculosis at Sanator (S.D.) where the donors aunt Lucille Reding was a patient, mainly the film shows the outside and grounds of the sanitarium. The last film also features views of the Sylvan Lake Hotel. Dr. A.P. Reding was born in Harding County on March 1, 1909. His parents moved to Marion (S.D.) later that year. He graduated from Marion High School in 1928. He graduated from Creighton Medical School in 1934 and started his practice in Marion in 1935. Dr. Reding practiced medicine in Marion until his retirement in 1998. He was recognized by Pope John Paul II for his 50th year in medicine. Dr. Reding saw the church explosion from his home and rushed to the scene. His mother, Caroline Reding, was one of the parishioners who died in the church.

Acquisition Type

Gift

Restrictions Apply

No

Dates

  • 1949
  • 1953
  • 1954

Creator

Extent

4 Reels

0.25 Cubic Feet