Scotty Philip Memorial Cemetery
The collection consists of Articles of Incorporation, a Warranty Deed, and a Letter of Instruction concerning the Scotty Philip Memorial Cemetery. The 1934 Warranty Deed transaction is between Sarah Philip (widow of Scotty Philip) and Hiram Lodge, No. 123, A.F. & A.M. of Fort Pierre. The land in question is for the “Southeast Quarter of the Southwest Quarter of Section 8, Township 5 North, Range 31 East of the Black Hills Meridian.” The deed also includes the Philip home which Sarah was to live in rent free until the time of her death. The 1935 Article of Incorporation for the Masonic Cemetery Association of Fort Pierre in Stanley County is established for the “purpose of acquiring ground and laying out the same into blocks and lots for the use and purpose of burying the dead.” The land location is the same as that found in the Warranty Deed. The third document (of which there are two copies) is dated 1966 and is a Letter of Instruction from Delia Terry to F. R. Fackelman, president of First National Bank of Fort Pierre. The letter asks to put $5000 in escrow “for the purpose of paying for a memorial gateway at the Scotty Philip Memorial Cemetery, and to rebuild the south side fence with four wires.”
0.1 Cubic Feet (Warranty Deed, Articles of Incorporation, Letter of Instruction)
- Articles of Incorporation Subject Source: Local sources
- Cemetery Records -- South Dakota -- Stanley County Subject Source: Local sources
- Fort Pierre (S.D.)--Hiram Lodge No. 123 A.F. & A.M.
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Masonic Cemetery Association of Fort Pierre--Articles of Incorporation
- Philip, James "Scotty"
- Philip, Sarah (Larribee)
- Scotty Philip Memorial Cemetery
- Warranty Deeds Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings