Skip to main content

State Training School, 1887 - 2000

 Fonds

Dates

  • 1887 - 2000

Administrative History

The State Training School opened in 1888 as a juvenile corrections facility in Plankinton, South Dakota. It was administered initially by the Dakota Territorial Legislature, then by the Board of Charities and Corrections after statehood. In 1989, the Board of Charities and Corrections was dissolved and responsibility for maintaining the State Training School, as well as all other prisons, transferred to the Department of Corrections. In 2001, Governor Janklow closed the State Training School down, citing declining intake numbers.

Extent

9 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

From the Record Group: English

Repository Details

Part of the South Dakota State Archives Repository

Contact:
900 Governors Dr
Pierre South Dakota 57501 USA
605-773-3804
605-773-6041 (Fax)