Assessment Books - Pierre (Real and Personal Property, 1881-1891; Real Property, 1892-1957) and Town Lots (1881-1887), 1881 - 1957
Series — Volume: V 3167-3373
Identifier: ACC 90-181:
Scope and Contents
This series contains the Hughes County Assessor’s lists of taxable property from 1881 to 1957 for Pierre. The earliest volumes (1881-1887) contain assessments for other towns in addition to Pierre. Records contain the following information: name of property owner, a list of real property and assessed value, as well as a list of personal property and assessed value (including livestock, carriages/vehicles, furniture, machinery, and luxury items like musical instruments or watches).
- 1881 - 1957
30 Cubic Feet (206 volumes)
Volumes are arranged chronologically by assessment year. Within each volume, personal property entries are arranged alphabetically by the surname of the person or name of the corporation taxed. Real property entries are arranged numerically by block and lot number within sections for each original plat and additions. Prior to 1892, real and personal property data for Pierre was recorded in the same volume. Beginning with 1892, they appear in separate sets of volumes (see accession 90-182). Real property entries appear before personal property entries in all volumes where both appear.
- Personal Property -- Valuation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pierre (S.D.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real Property -- Valuation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- South Dakota -- Property Tax Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tax Records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings