General Land Office - Original Land Survey Field Notes, 1859 - 1980
Identifier: ACC 84-001:
Scope and Contents
This series consists of the original handwritten notes taken by surveyors during initial boundary surveys, resurveys, and survey amendments in South Dakota. Includes surveys of township, range, and subdivision lines; standard and parallel guide meridian lines; state boundaries; and Indian and military reservation boundaries. Also includes field notes for mineral surveys, homestead entry surveys, and town site surveys.
- 1859 - 1980
67 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
From the Record Group: English
Notes are bound together in books with leather covers. An index map is available that indicates in which book the notes for a particular survey can be found (see MF 531).
Microfilm copies of these records are available in the Archives' Research Room. These records are also in the process of being digitized, and will be placed in the South Dakota Digital Archives as they are completed (http://sddigitalarchives.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p15914coll1). See accession 84-002 for the original plat maps which correspond to these notes. The maps are also available online through the BLM's Federal Land Records Site (http://glorecords.blm.gov).
- Field Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Land Subdivision -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Microfilm (16mm) Subject Source: Local sources
- Microfilm (35mm) Subject Source: Local sources
- Surveyors -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings