Legislative Joint Committee Records - Investigation of Financial Irregularities at State Institutions, 1901
Scope and Contents
This series contains six ledgers of records created by a joint legislative committee organized in February 1901 to investigate Governor Andrew E. Lee's charges "against the former management of the Hospital for the Insane in Yankton, the Penitentiary at Sioux Falls, and the Reform School at Plankinton." The governor's annual message to the legislature had alleged "theft, embezzlement, and robbery, etc." on the heads of those institutions. The committee gathered documents and heard testimony throughout the winter of 1901 before issuing a final report. The report noted several financial irregularities involving the institutions, as well as a general lack of supervision over the institutions by the Board of Charities and Corrections, although the committee was reluctant to label these shortcomings as "theft, embezzlement, and robbery." The ledgers include transcripts of testimony and documentary exhibits recorded by stenographer William Wallace, as well as the official journal kept by committee clerk E. M. Thomas and the committee's final report.
0.75 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
From the Record Group: English
- Ainsworth, C.W.
- Bacon, Rollin H., 1838-1914
- Bartow, Julius D., 1851-1910
- Bowler, John A., 1861-1930
- Dakota State Hospital for the Insane (Yankton, S.D.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DeJean, Thomas C., 1847-1924
- Dow, Wallace L. (Wallace LeRoy), 1844-1911
- Dye, Warren, 1852-?
- Edgerton, Edward G., 1853-1907
- Furchner, Ernest, 1866-1950
- Gardner, Elmer E., 1882-?
- Getty, D. B. (Daniel B.), 1867-1958
- Keller, William F., Dr., 1864-1935
- Kingsbury, George W. (George Washington), 1837-1925
- Laughlin, Lemuel B., 1851-1943
- Lee, Andrew Ericson, 1847-1934
- Lindsay, Thomas M., 1852-1907
- Martin, John H., 1862-1917
- Mead, Leonard Charles, Dr., 1856-1920
- Natwick, Herman H., 1856-1914
- Nissen, Jacob J., 1853-1931
- Park, David, 1856-1931
- Pfotenhauer, Ferdinand
- Phillips, Nyrum E., 1842-1927
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Richey, Z., 1850-?
- Ross, V. S., Dr. (V. Sebiakin-Ross), 1847-?
- Shouse, Hiram C., 1844-1933
- Smith, Howard P., 1837-1928
- South Dakota Board of Charities and Corrections Subject Source: Local sources
- South Dakota State Penitentiary (Sioux Falls, S.D.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- South Dakota State Training School (Plankinton, S.D.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- South Dakota. Legislature -- Committees Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- State Hospital and Asylum (Yankton, S.D.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Steere, F. M., 1864-?
- Tannen, George
- Taylor, Maris, 1847-1923
- Tenge, Edward, 1849-1917
- Tomkins, William H. (1860-1945)
- Trent, Charles W., 1867-1936
- Tyler, L. S.
- Valentine, William B., 1836-1905
- Wright, C. E., Dr.
- Wylie, Cora M., 1876-?
- Wyman, Frank D., 1841-1913