Oral History Project Recordings, 1968 - 1985
Scope and Contents
These oral history recordings were produced as joint projects between the University of South Dakota in Vermillion and the South Dakota State Historical Society. The South Dakota Oral History Project (SDOHP) focused on collecting interviews with South Dakota residents whose recollections dated back to 1900 and before. The emphasis of these interviews was placed on pioneer recollections of life on the prairie, but also included topics of current interest. For example, a series of interviews with survivors of the 1972 Rapid City flood were recorded during the summer of 1972. There are also several recordings of South Dakota musicians playing and discussing their work.
The American Indian Research Project (AIRP) focused on collecting interviews with Native Americans; teachers from reservation schools; monks, priests, and nuns involved with the Marty Mission and other mission schools; and individuals involved in the 1973 Custer Courthouse incident and Wounded Knee protests. Common topics in the interviews include tribal government, the Indian Reorganization Act, the American Indian Movement, experiences at boarding schools, reservation life, Sioux culture, prejudice and paternalism, and medicine men.
Upon completion of these projects, copies of the audiotapes were deposited at the State Archives and the Oral History Center at the University of South Dakota. Published indexes to the oral histories in this collection can be found in Box 14194 and in the State Archives Library. Transcripts are available in Boxes 14193 and 14194. Also, some of the interviews have been digitized and are available in the State Archives Digital Collections.
This accession also includes audiocassettes containing interviews with Tripp County homesteaders and recordings of events, such as Historical Society board meetings, annual meetings, marker dedications, speeches, and tours.
- 1968 - 1985
Requests for copies of tapes and transcriptions or permission to use a part of the collection must be approved by the Oral History Center staff at USD, or the Director of the State Archives
74.5 Cubic Feet (68200 MB)
Language of Materials
From the Fonds: English
- American Indian Movement (AIM) -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Audio Tapes -- reel to reel Subject Source: Local sources
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Boarding School Students -- Native Americans -- South Dakota Subject Source: Local sources
- Custer County Courthouse -- History -- Riot, 1973 Subject Source: Local sources
- Digital Media Collections -- Government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Flood of 1972 (Rapid City, S.D.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Frontier and pioneer life -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America -- Oral Histories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral History -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- South Dakota Oral History Resource Center (Vermillion, S.D.) -- Management Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- St. Paul's Mission (Marty, S.D.)
- Wounded Knee (S.D.) -- History -- Indian Occupation, 1973 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings