Railplan South Dakota Records and Publications, 1977 - 1983
Identifier: ACC 86-081:
Scope and Contents
This series contains records and publications from the Railplan South Dakota railroad revitalization program for the years 1977 to 1983 and includes correspondence; transcripts and audio recordings of public hearings; photocopies of newspaper articles; rail line analysis reports; rail line abandonment applications; and various draft and printed versions of “Railplan South Dakota.” As a result of the Milwaukee Road bankruptcy and subsequent abandonment of rail lines throughout the state, South Dakota suffered a loss of over fifty percent of its total operating rail mileage. Railplan South Dakota was the official railroad plan for the state of South Dakota, prepared by the Department of Transportation and endorsed by the Governor, which endeavored to examine and document the state of the railroad industry. The stated purpose of the plan was to address problems with the rail industry in the state including abandoned lines, poor condition of rail plants, numerous light density branch lines, and lack of sufficient year-round guaranteed commodity movements; to satisfy federal rail planning requirements outlined in the Railroad Revitalization and Regulatory Reform Act of 1976 (4-R Act); to guide the allocation of funds for the maintenance, improvement, and preservation of rail lines in the state; and to inform the public of rail problems in South Dakota and potential alternatives for solving transportation needs.
- 1977 - 1983
2 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
From the Record Group: English
Arranged chronologically and thereunder alphabetically by record type. Audio recordings of public hearings are arranged and stored separately. See attached container list for more information.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chicago and North Western Transportation Company
- Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, and Pacific Railroad Company
- Drafts (Documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters (Correspondence) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co.
- Railroad Lines -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads -- Research Materials Subject Source: Local sources
- Railroads -- South Dakota -- Abandonment Subject Source: Local sources
- State Government Publications -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Transcripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Transportation -- South Dakota -- Planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings