Water and Natural Resources, Dept. of
Scope and Contents
This record group contains records created and maintained by the Dept. of Water and Natural Resources Records include: correspondence, reports, water subdistrict plans, Missouri River Basin Commission records, photographs, environmental protection records, water quality plans, environmental impact statements, meeting minutes, financial records, Edgemont Uranium Mine records and audio recordings from the Board of Minerals and Environment.
- 1921 - 1995
The Department of the Water and Natural Resources (DWNR) was established in 1979, consolidationg the former Dept. of Natural Resource Development and Dept. of Environmental Protection under one department. The purpose of the department was to research, promote, plan and implement multi-purpose natural resource projects and programs with an emphasis on development for economic benefits and to protect and improve the quality of the environment. The DWNR also was in charge of administrating several grants including the Community Development Block Grant.
In 1995 the Department of Water and Natural Resources became the Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources.
131.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- Environmental Monitoring Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Environmental Policy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Water Districts -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Water Quality Management -- South Dakota -- Planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Records of the Department of Water and Natural Resources
- Sara Casper, Government Records Archivist and Hannah Marshall, Processing Archivist
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Preparation of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Edition statement
- 1st Edition