School and Public Lands, Dept. of
- 1883 - 1983
When South Dakota became a state in 1889, the federal government granted the state over 3.5 million acres of land. In each township sections 16 and 36 were to be used for schools and other public purposes. These are known as common school lands. If these sections were already settled, the government provided replacement lands known as indemnity lands.
Additional lands were also provided and could be divided as the State wished. The South Dakota Constitution divided these lands between the state's universities, the School for the Visually Handicapped, the School for the Deaf, State Training School, and the Developmental Center in Redfield.
To manage these lands and the money they generated, the constitution established the Office of the Commissioner of School and Public Lands.
According to the constitution, common school and indemnity lands were either to be sold or leased and the proceeds deposited in a permanent trust fund for education. The principal could be increased, but never diminished. Interest from the fund was to be used for funding education.
Each year the office returns approximately $12 million to school districts and endowed institutions. The money is generated from grazing, mineral, oil and gas leases, interest on the Common School Permanent Fund, and interest on land sales contracts.
221.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- Land Subdivision -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Land Use -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Records of the Department of School and Public Lands
- In Process
- Sara Casper, Government Records Archivist
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- 1st Edition
Part of the South Dakota State Archives Repository
900 Governors Dr
Pierre South Dakota 57501 USA