Environmental Protection, Dept. of
Scope and Contents
This record group contains records created and maintained by the Dept. of Environmental Protection. Records include: correspondence, reports, water quality records, environmental impact statements, meeting minutes, financial records, Homestake Mine and Whitewood Creek cleanup files.
- 1935 - 1985
The Department of Environmental Protection was officially created in 1973 as part of a larger government reorganization order. The Dept. of Environmental Protection saw a number of commissions and transferred under its control including the Air Pollution Commission, Committee on Water Pollution, Surface Mining Commission and the State Conservation Commission. Functions with respect to the control of water pollution carried out by the Public Health Advisory Committee, the State Health Officer and the Dept. of Health were also transferred to the Dept. of Environmental Protection at this time.
In 1979 the Dept. of Environmental Protection was absorbed into the newly created Dept. of Water and Natural Resources.
17.25 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- Conservation of Natural Resources -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Environmental Protection -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Natural Resources -- South Dakota -- Management Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Watershed Management Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Records of the South Dakota Department of Environmental Protection
- In Process
- Hannah Marshall, Processing Archivist
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Preparation of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Edition statement
- 1st Edition
Part of the South Dakota State Archives Repository
900 Governors Dr
Pierre South Dakota 57501 USA