Transportation, Dept. of
Scope and Contents
This record group contains records created and maintained by the South Dakota Department of Transportation and includes highway and bridge construction plans, photographs, and films; aerial photographs; bridge inspection reports; engineers' correspondence; project feasibility studies; railroad deeds, maps, appraisal records, and construction and maintenance files; railroad abandonment hearing files; state rail plan records and publications; Milwaukee Road bankruptcy and reorganization files; public hearing audio records; and commission meeting minutes and annual reports.
- 1872 - 2013
The South Dakota Department of Transportation was officially created in 1973 when an executive reorganization order dismantled the Department of Highways and distributed its functions to newly created departments (Executive Order No. 73-1; Session Laws of 1973, Chapter 2, Section 221). The Publicity Division of the Department of Highways, which was responsible for promoting tourism in South Dakota, was transferred to the Department of Economic and Tourism Development. All other Department of Highways functions were transferred to the Department of Transportation--Division of Highways. The new Department of Transportation allowed for more comprehensive management of the state's transportation systems including highways, railroads, and aeronautics. The department is responsible for developing and maintaining an efficient, effective, and comprehensive transportation system in the state. Its duties include supervising highway construction and maintenance projects, development of airports and finding solutions for rail transportation issues, and investigating the possible application of new transportation initiatives in South Dakota. When it was created, the department was organized into five major divisions: Division of the Secretary, Division of Highways (included Engineering, Right-of-Way, Materials and Testing, Maintenance, and Field Operations programs), Division of Aeronautics, Division of Railroads, and Division of Policy Development and Evaluation.
270.85 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- Highways -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- South Dakota -- Dept. of Transportation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Transportation -- South Dakota -- Planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Transportation and State -- South Dakota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Records of the South Dakota Department of Transportation
- In Process
- Sara Casper, Government Records Archivist, Brandon Pieczko, Processing Archivist, and Miranda Webster, Processing Intern
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Preparation of this finding aid was made possible by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Edition statement
- 1st Edition